Saturday, December 11, 2010

Music videos improve life quality- its a fact

Lately Ive been feeling like someone who doesn't particularly have a lot to say, because it seems that, especially with people who don't have the pleasure of being in Zambia, I talk about the weather... a lot. Generally I think of weather as being a topic best associated with just getting to know someone, awkward pauses, and a lack of general command of local language (although I think all of those fit with awkward silences). I know in my letters I always include something about the weather and sometimes it is because I feel like theres not much else going on and if I am going to send a letter alllllll the way to Americaland I might as well fill up some space on the paper. But weather is a truly integral part of Zambian life. I know that you could make an argument that weather is a crucial aspect to every part of life in every culture but I've come to appreciate its importance in Zambia.

It finally rained in Chipata, about a week ago. Until then I was really starting to doubt whether it actually did rain in Eastern Province because my friends in other provinces had been talking about rain at their sites for weeks. It just seemed to be getting hotter and hotter. However, then the rain came and its been raining and cloudy every day for over a week which I here is also unusual. Apparently usually at the beginning of rainy season it doesn't rain every day. Maybe the sky had just been saving up...

The rains are integral in terms of planting crops here. The planting season, at least in my catchment area, coincides almost perfectly with the holiday season in the US. Starting from the very end of November through the entire month of January most people will be very busy planting their fields with maize, groundnuts (peanuts), sunflower, and potentially some other crops like soy and beans (the exception to this is cotton which is planted before the rain). Maize is the particular crop of importance in Zambia because well, its what everyone eats. Its important only to plant maize after you are sure that there is going to be a steady amount of rain coming to your fields. If you plant too early then the seeds wont be able to germinate and you will lose a great deal of your yield. If you plant too late then the rain can also have a negative impact on your crop yield and you can lose some of your crop. Ideally its recommended that farmers in Eastern Province plant their maize between Dec 1 and Dec 15. This planting season I am working with one of my neighbors to use his field as a demonstration plot for a few conservation farming techniques. Conservation Farming is a method of farming that has been introduced into Eastern Province in the past 3-4 years (Im told by other volunteers that we are a bit ahead of the curve here in EP and that CF is just being rolled out in other parts of the country).  CF aims to minimize environmental degradation, reduce workload on the farmer, and mamxmize crop yield. Sounds amazing right? Well it can be, but its difficult to get people who have been doing something one way for their entire lives to completely change and switch their ways. And its not like we're talking about something superficial like the color of your hair or your house, but rather we're talking about an entire families food source. It can definitely seeem like a bit of a gamble.Its an integral part of my program as a LIFE volunteer here so I will keep you updated on my progress with CF in my catchment area.

Switching gears here, I have been in Chipata for the past week participating in a workshop focused on HIV/AIDS education, prevention, care and support. The nine other volunteers in my province that I came to country with and their village counterparts (as well as my own counterpart from the village) have been staying a super nice lodge in Chipata and working pretty hard (8-4! everyday!). Usually the volunteers stay at our bunk house in Chipata, however right now our house is having some "difficulities" so they put us up at the nicest guest house in Chipata (mainly because it was a last minute decision and its the only place in Chipata that PC in Lusaka can pay electronically). But I've had AIR CONDITIONING for the past week as well as a TELEVISION (ok the channels are few BUT there is a European music video channel that I've been watching pretty nonstop I feel so culturally relevant and cool again- I know some new music!!).

The workshop overall was really good. Although I do think the volunteers get a lot out of it I think that the Zambians get so much information that they would otherwise not necessarily hear. The current HIV rate in Zambia is 14% but that varies amongst provinces and districts. In Chipata district its pretty high at 22.6%. I've got some work to do. Although many people have a bit of HIV knowledge and there are many NGOs that have been very active in trying to provide information about the disease throughout the country this is another case where the rural areas are behind the rest of the country in terms of dispelling myths about the disease  and overall education and knowledge about HIV. As Peace Corps. volunteers we are all expected to do some HIV work whether its working with groups of those who are living Positively and trying to help them establish income generating activities or helping to educate people about proper nutrition and care for those living with the disease or even condom demonstrations. And now ideally we have Zambian counterparts who are trained with us to help us bring all the information we have back to the village...I'm lucky in that I have a great counterpart and I know that we are going to do a lot of great work together.

So thats generally what I have been up to as of late, rain and learning about HIV. This will be my last blog post before my epic Christmas vacation to Mozambique. I leave in just over a week and will be gone for until the beginning of January. I am backpacking around Southern Mozambique (Maputo, Tofo, Vilankulo, Bazaruto Archipelago, Xai-Xai)  with two of my good friends here. I am So excited. So until then...