Friday, March 5, 2010

Its good to be back

Ok so I am going to try and sum up the past two weeks as best as I can. So I met the other incoming 48 peace corps zambia in Philly on Feb 15th. We were there for about 36 hours for some preliminary paperwork and then proceeded to hop on a bus to JFK and then flew to South Africa and then took another flight to Lusaka. When we got off the plane in Lusaka we were told to be dressed in business casual attire because there would be a lot of people coming to meet us and that first impressions are considered very important. And that would have been totally fine except there wasnt anyone to meet us. Apparently they thought our arrival time was 7 hours later...well in case I had forgotten the continent on which we had just arrived I was quickly reminded t.i.a. this is Africa. After about an hour and half we were picked up and taken to istt which is a college/training center. The next two days were filled with medical and logistical stuff i.e. bike fittings, program overviews etc. We were then whisked off to the bush in small groups for 4 days. I got to visit a currently serving volunteer in central province. His site was so beautiful but the fact that he had to basically climb a mountain to get cell service was a bit disconcerting. But some volunteers do have service at their site so it totally depends on placement. Being in the bush was pretty great though because it really actualized the reality of this experience. I got to create a small cookstove out of river clay which is pretty awesome and I will definitely do again. After we got back from our site visit we moved into our homestays which is where I am now...